Hamas War

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

News Flash! It Moves!

Last week, when I was in Jerusalem's Ramat Eshkol neighborhood, waiting for the bus home to Shiloh I was surprised to see a rather futuristic scene...


Jerusalem light-rail

Yes, that's the train, the trolley, the Jerusalem light-rail silently chugging down the street to the Ammunition Hill Stop.  Luckily, I'm pretty fast at the draw and speedily whipped out my trusty camera and shot the above photo.

The day before in Pisgat Zeev, I took this photo of a trolley stop, rails and the inevitable chemical toilet set up for workers, because construction on Jerusalem's light-rail isn't complete yet.
Jerusalem light-rail

So, this year we still can't celebrate Jerusalem Day by taking the train.  Maybe next year... or the following...

8 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

Is this some kind of test for my old eyes? I just don't seem to see the train.
Have a great day!

Batya said...

Risa, click to enlarge. Those windows are the train.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Risa, I missed it too. I thought that the windows belonged to a building. I'd still be missing it without Batya's tip. Enlarging doesn't help if you don't know that the windows are train windows.

Batya said...

Hadassa, it's totally silent, so I was pretty lucky to spy it. Don't you see the people standing in the open doors?

Keli Ata said...

I had to enlarge it to clearly see the train. But when I did and remembered what our rapid transit looks like it was easy to identify the windows and the open doors of the train.


LOL. Don't ask why--I was somehow expecting the train in Jerusalem to be suspended up several feet.

I wonder if the train in Jerusalem will have an underground section?

Batya said...

Keli, no it doesn't hover. It was planned to go on the crowded roads to compete with cars and slow traffic. At least we don't have a car.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
I sure did see people standing in open doors. I thought that the doors belonged to a building too!

Keli, can you imagine the hassle digging underground in Jerusalem for a subway would cause if constructing a hospital building in Ashkelon resulted in riots?

Batya said...

Yes, We could never have a subway dug in Jerusalem. It's hard enough to build a buuilding.