Hamas War

Friday, February 5, 2010

Learning From History

My father is back to watching his World War Two documentaries on DVD.  He's as fascinated as if it's the first time he has seen them.  I'm horrified by the parallels I see to today's news.  It's like those books I don't finish, because I can too easily predict what dangers and predicaments the characters will get themselves into.  It all seems so obvious, but they act oblivious.

I feel the same way watching the news.  How many times can our politicians make the same mistakes?  Don't they remember the previous times they tried bribing the Arab terrorists with land and privileges the results was that our security only lessened and terrorism increased?  My father has an excuse for not remembering.  Some of his brain cells have "expired."

The people leading the State of Israel supposedly have all their faculties.  What's their excuse?

Chamberlain's "Peace in our time" didn't protect Great Britain.  Nor did American isolationism keep the United States out the war.

It's Friday afternoon, my time is short. Shabbat is approaching.  I'm glad to have Shabbat to escape a bit from This World, Olam Hazeh.

Shabbat Shalom uMevorach
Have a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat

4 comments:

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
and shavua tov (have a good week)!
I just read a passage in one of Chaim Walder's books in which a character describes how the Jews during the Holocaust were convinced by their leaders to be calm, organized and follow orders. Frightening how little we've learned since then.

Batya said...

Yes, exactly the same. Would you have the kishkes to finish the book when it's so predictable?

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
It was a small part of one of the stories in "People Without Masks". I read Holocaust books mainly in honor of those who perished at the hands of the Nazi, yemach shemam v'zichram.

Batya said...

History will keep repeating until we learn to stop the cycle.