Hamas War

Monday, December 28, 2009

World Religions, Who's top dog?

In the comment discussion on my post about New Years, Lady-Light of Tikkun Olam commented on the discussion which focused on Israeli President Peres's Xmas greetings.  Some people consider him too fawning and Lady-Light mentioned that non-Jews are the majority, so maybe "seasons/holiday greetings" would be appropriate.  Yes, for sure.  But then I began to wonder what percentage of the world's population is cristian.  Who else actually has a major holiday at this time of the year?

Being The CPA's daughter I am, I was pretty sure that cristians can't possibly make up over 50% of the world's population, which is the definition of majority.  At most they're a plurality, the largest sector.  Considering the relative birthrates between cristians and muslims, their days are certainly numbered.

Kishkes, gut instincts, aren't enough nowadays.  I googled and found the desired information about the relative size of world religions.



Considering how pathetically small the world's Jewish population is, it's even more incomprehensible that the rest of the world should be so concerned about our tiny country.  Could there be some insidious reason behind their obsession?

3 comments:

Lady-Light said...

Ha! I looked it up before you, so there! I posted my 2nd comment before looking at your blog to see of you had a new post on the subject (and I am not a CPA's daughter; rather, an educator-and-Hebrew-scholar-and-poet's one).

But funny, I was thinking of posting a similar post, about the fact that Jews make up .22% of the world's relgions, so what's all the global fuss about, for gosh sakes?!
(Ya beat me to it.)

Keli Ata said...

A small light but collectively a very intense one! Face it, we're irresistable! Everyone is fascinated with Jews.

A CPA's daughter...ah, that explains why you're such a pragmatist.

Batya said...

LL, second comment? I just got up and must check it out! I'm glad our minds are going the same direction on this.

keli, yes, I inherited a lot from my father.