Hamas War

Friday, October 10, 2008

Why Wait?

In a sense, this brings me back to something I learned and internalized watching a Jewish TV show in New York, soon after the Anna Frank Diary was published.

A short skit, with possibly only two characters. Here's the dialogue as I remember:

"If I was living during a rule that forbade me to light the Chanuka Menorah, I'd risk my life to light it."
"Do you light the Chanukah Menorah all eight nights?"
"No."
Why, davka, when religious laws/customs are forbidden do they mean more to us than when nobody is stopping us?

Every since I've begun my pilgrimages to Tel Shiloh, I've been amazed that some neighbors who join me confide that it's their first time at the place where Chana prayed. That's why, even why only a few women show up, it's worth it. Yes, it's very special.


We live where one of the most important Biblical events took place. We walk where Chana, Eli and Samuel once walked.


We look at the same mountains and the same trails. We can see Derech Avot, The Patriarch's Road, as it passes Shiloh on it's way between Shechem, Beit El, Jerusalem, Beit Lechem, Hebron and Beersheva.

It's easy to imagine how Eli, the High Priest, sat watching the road, waiting for news of the battle.

Booths, for all sorts of activities, are being constructed for the expected visitors during Succot. For more information call: 02-997-5516.

And our next Women's Prayer at Tel Shiloh, will G-d willing be Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan, Thursday, October 30, 9:45am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been amazed that some neighbors who join me confide that it's their first time at the place where Chana prayed. That's why, even why only a few women show up, it's worth it. Yes, it's very special.

Batya said...

Thanks for visiting the blog.